Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Orphanage Visit










HEY EVERYONE!
Alex D. here.Just wanted to blog about my orphanage visit experience:)

Well,at first it didn't really sink into me that we were visiting an orphanage for handicapped children or even adults until we were at the orphanage itself.We were welcomed by the vice director.She was very friendly and I felt comfortable around her. She led us to a classroom on the 2nd floor.It was pretty small compared to our classrooms. She told us about the history of the orphanage and about the children there. Most of them were mentally disabled and some were physically disabled. Slowly it started to sink into me that I would have to think of topics to talk to the children there.It was really difficult as we all didn't want to talk about stuff that they were sensitive about and the fact that they hardly understood English made it worse, but somehow we all managed to feel at ease when we met the children.A few of us cried and it reminded me of the blind and disabled children I met in Laos which probably were in a worse and more pitiful state.I think compared to the blind children in laos,their conditions were not as bad.

After touring around the school,we started work.some of us stayed at the classroom to build the library and the rest went to decorate the classroom on the 1st floor.we printed the photos we took with them on the spot. They were fasinated by the printer and some of the boys were helping Arin with the printing.I'm so proud of the library that we built for the children. It's good to know that we've left our mark at the orphanage and that's something i'm really proud of.

I think it was really hard for all of us to leave the orphanage.I was already very attached to this girl. We didn't really communicate but somehow I could feel this connection.I nearly cried when we were leaving.

I think that this was the most significant activity throughout this whole trip as it made me realise how much I've taken my abilities for granted. I really would love to go back and do more for this orphanage.

That's all I gotta say for now! See you girls in school next year!
Bye!
Take care!:)
Love,
Alexandria De Costa

No comments: